1. This Society shall be called ‘THE MANCHU SHIH TZU SOCIETY’. Its object shall be to promote and protect the breed and preserve it on the right lines according to the Kennel Club Breed Standard, and to render assistance to breeders and owners.
2. The Society shall consist of Patron(s). President, Vice President(s), Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, and a committee of 10, and an unlimited number of Members whose names and addresses shall be kept by the Secretary. Any member changing address is requested to notify the Secretary of such alteration.
a) The business of the Society shall be conducted by a Committee consisting of 10 members, with power to add to their number, and the ex-officio Members. The President, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer shall be ex-officio members of the committee. Five shall form a quorum.
b) The committee and all other Officials of the Society shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
c) The election to fill the Offices of President, Vice-President(s), Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, and retiring members of the Committee shall be carried out at the Annual General Meeting by a show of hands if no other names have been submitted under rule 3(f) below; if any other names have been submitted, the election to fill the respective offices of President, Vice-President(s), Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, or any of the retiring members of the committee shall be carried out by a postal ballot of all the members of the Society resident in the United Kingdom. A ballot paper to be supplied to each member and forwarded to an independent returning officer. The result of such a ballot to be presented in a sealed envelope and only opened in the presence of the entire Annual General Meeting.
d) The Officers shall retire every three years, but shall be eligible for re-election at the Annual General Meeting.
e) The four members of THE longest standing on the committee shall retire annually, but shall be eligible for re-election.
f) Any member may nominate any other member for office by sending the name of that member to the Secretary to arrive not later than one calendar month prior to the Annual General Meeting, with a written request that the members name be put up for election, and with a statement that the members consent has been obtained.
g) A casual vacancy on the committee or among the ex-officio members may be filled by the committee, subject to confirmation at the next Annual General Meeting. The member then appointed shall, however, retire on the date at which the member replaced would have retired.
h) The Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Committee for the year shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
i) The Committee shall meet as often as may be deemed necessary. Five members shall form a quorum.
j) The Secretary shall call a Committee Meeting on the request of three of its Members, in writing, at any time, at least fourteen days notice are to be given.
k) A Minute Book reporting all the business transacted at Committee Meetings must be kept by the Secretary.
3. Persons signifying to the Secretary in writing their desire to join the Society, shall thereby signify their willingness to abide by its Rules and Regulations, and will become subject to the same on their election.
4. Any person favourable to the aims of the Society shall be eligible for admission as a Member, and the election shall take place at any Committee Meeting. Candidates for membership of the Society shall be proposed by one Member, and seconded by another and elected by, or balloted for, by the committee at one of their Meetings. Five Members to form a quorum at such ballot and two negative to exclude.
5. It shall be in the power of the Committee to elect honorary Members, but such Members shall have no vote, nor be allowed to compete for the Society’s Specials.
The word ‘Honorary’ must appear alongside their names in the list of the Society’s Members.
6. a) The annual subscription shall be such amount as agreed by members in the Annual General Meeting and notified to the Kennel Club. These amounts are payable on election. Subsequent subscriptions are payable on the 1st January each year.
b) No member whose subscription is unpaid shall be entitled to the privileges of membership and if any member shall fail to pay the annual subscription by 1st February, the committee shall have the power to erase his name from the list of members, but if the committee shall subsequently receive a satisfactory explanation, the member may at the discretion of the committee and on payment of arrears, be re-admitted to membership.
c) No member of the society or office bearer shall incur any liability, financial or otherwise, in the name of the Society without the written authority of the committee.
d) The Society must make a list of members and their addresses available for inspection if so requested by any member or members of the Society or the Kennel Club.
7. The financial year of the Society shall be from 1st January to 31st December.
8. A Banking Account shall be opened in the name of the society into which all revenue of the society shall be paid and from which withdrawals shall be made on the signature of two or more of the Officers, one of whom shall be the Treasurer.
9. The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year Maintenance of a Title fee will be forwarded to the Kennel Club by the Secretary for the continuance of Registration and that by 31st July each year, other returns as stipulated in the Kennel Club Regulation for the Registration and Maintenance of Title of Societies, Branches and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities, will be forwarded to the Kennel Club. The Officers also acknowledge their duty to inform the Kennel Club of any changes of Secretary of the Society which may occur during the course of the year.
a) The Annual General Meeting shall be held before the end of March, at such time and place as the Committee shall appoint for the election of Officers and Committee, and to pass the Balance Sheet for the Society. At least 28 days notice shall be given to each member, and the audited Statement of Accounts showing the financial position of the Society shall be sent with the notice of the Annual General Meeting to each member. A report of the resolutions passed and the business transacted shall be entered in a Minute Book kept for that purpose by the Secretary.
10. A Special General Meeting may be convened at any time, for any specific purpose, either by the Committee or by ten ordinary members, by handing to the Secretary a written requisition, duly signed, such meeting to be convened within fourteen days notice convening such Special General Meeting. The objects of the meeting to be notified, and the decision of such meeting to be as binding in every respect as if moved at an Annual General Meeting.
11. Any member who shall be suspended by the Kennel Club Rule A42J(4) and/or any member who’s dog or dogs is/are
disqualified under Kennel Club Rule A42J(8) shall ipso fact cease to be a member of the Society for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification.
If the conduct of any member shall, in the opinion of the Committee of the Society, be injurious or likely to be injurious to the character or interest of the Society, the Committee of the Society may, at a meeting, the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the Member, determine that a Special General Meeting of the Society shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her.
Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising him/her of the place, date and hour for the meeting, that he/she attend and offer an explanation. If at that meeting, a resolution to expel is passed by a two thirds majority of the members present and voting, his/her name shall forth with be erased from the list of members of the society, and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a member of the society except that he/she may within two calendar months from the date of such a meeting, appeal to the Kennel Club upon and subject to such conditions as the Kennel Club may impose.
12. The Rules of the Society may not be altered except at an Annual General Meeting, notice of which includes details of the proposal to alter the Rules. Such alterations shall not be brought into force until the Kennel Club has been advised and has given approval of the alterations. No business shall be transacted at the Annual General Meeting unless notice thereof appears on the Agenda, with the exception of routine matters of those, which, in the opinion of the Chairman of the Meeting, are urgent.
13. a) At the dissolution of the Society, all Cups, Prizes and Trophies shall be returned to the donors or their successors, or failing this be handed over to the Kennel Club.
b) In the event of the Society ceasing to exist, its capital shall be allotted for the benefit of the breed or canine charity by the Committee serving at the time of dissolution.
14. In the case of any dispute or difference arising in connection with the affairs of the Society, this Society agrees to recognise the Kennel Club as the final authority for interpreting the Rules and Regulations of the Society, and in all cases relative to Canine or Association matter.
15. The Society shall not join any Federation of Societies or Clubs.
16. No person who is un-discharged bankrupt, may serve on the committee of, or hold any other office or appointment within a Kennel Club registered society.
All honoraria shall be sanctioned at the AGM by the members and paid in arrears by cheque signed by two officers to comply with Kennel Club Regulations on this. The recipients to receive their honorariums within 28 days of the AGM.